For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day. And do not quote any post, as it will put you over the limit of characters for our parser

TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random 2.0

Post by meganfernandez »

MJ2004 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:44 pm Tennis Players Random Random has always felt to me like it’s for the lighter stuff- pictures, gossip, etc. I wasn’t quite sure where this conversation belonged, it seems like there’s a gray zone.
:) I'm certainly not the person to determine that. Mostly just pointing out where the convo is.
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

How was Madrid, btw? Good churros, jamón, and tortilla de patata?

Post by meganfernandez »

MJ2004 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:52 pm Image How was Madrid, btw? Good churros, jamón, and tortilla de patata?
Churros, yes. I'm not a big fan of jamon Iberico (too chewy) or tortilla de patata (I want more flavor... my American taste buds want grease or butter in my potatoes :)). Loved the seafood, croquettes, cider... I"m a bit of a bakery/donut snob, and I was pleasantly surprised to find rich desserts and delicious croissant. Mexican desserts aren't sweet or rich enough for me. They are poor excuses for dessert and not worth the calories. Spain did not disappoint my sugar cravings.

Madrid was magical. I could live there, or in Oviedo, the city in Asturias. Madrid was a joy to get around, a very manageable bit city - at least the parts I went to. We stuck to the city proper. Oviedo was a lovely small city. Everyone was friendly. Both places were fairly relaxed. Gorgeous architecture everywhere. We are already planning to go back.

My husband points out that no one in Europe walks around with a cup of coffee, like Americans do. A lot of us take our coffee on the go. Does anyone else find that true?

Thanks for asking!
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

We do in the train station coming or going or when driving. Otherwise indeed rarely. Cofee is usually drank in the place you buy it.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

MJ2004 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:44 pm Tennis Players Random Random has always felt to me like it’s for the lighter stuff- pictures, gossip, etc. I wasn’t quite sure where this conversation belonged, it seems like there’s a gray zone.
Yes, obviously, it's still a gray area...

A while ago, I suggested having more distinct Forum titles - ones which better reflect the contents of each Forum. One could easily assume that any Forum titled 'Tennis Players' would be to post anything about... well... tennis players - whether it's serious or light... and that a Forum titled 'Tennis' would be to discuss the game in more general terms, and not specific players.

I believe my suggestion was to have 'Tennis Players' be about individual tennis players, 'Tennis' to be about tennis generally, and to create a new Forum titled 'Tennis Photos' or some such, which would be, obviously, for photos, 'social media' stuff, etc.
(How many times the word 'Random' is written after the titles of each Forum wouldn't matter - although I've never really understood why that word is included, let alone twice...)
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:45 pm We do in the train station coming or going or when driving. Otherwise indeed rarely. Cofee is usually drank in the place you buy it.
Americans walk around with giant thermoses of coffee with sayings about how much they love coffee. It's like an accessory. :) Not me, though. Not a big coffee drinker.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

People in the "civilized" world understand that if you are going to drink a cup of coffee, it is supposed to be a leisurely activity. You sit down, have a chat, converse with a friend, and actually RELAX.
Americans drink coffee as some sort of stimulant to work harder :P
(Says the Vennie guy that lives in Colombia and worked for USDA for five years and wrote the Coffee report for my country, and unequivocally says that Americans (and Italians) know NOTHING about coffee. Nothing :) )
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Tennis Players Random, Random 2.0

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:People in the "civilized" world understand that if you are going to drink a cup of coffee, it is supposed to be a leisurely activity. You sit down, have a chat, converse with a friend, and actually RELAX.
Americans drink coffee as some sort of stimulant to work harder :P
(Says the Vennie guy that lives in Colombia and worked for USDA for five years and wrote the Coffee report for my country, and unequivocally says that Americans (and Italians) know NOTHING about coffee. Nothing :) )
It is totally a stimulant here. We are off-topic, though. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post by meganfernandez »

Why is his hair gray?????? Did the breakup age him that much? He looks like early Andy Cohen.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Probably the lights.
And no, Matteo. A hammer plus lighting does not equal fire ;)
I wonder what he meant by that. (I know Usain was called the Lightning Bolt, but I am not sure if Matteo goes by the nickname Hammer).
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:40 pm Probably the lights.
I wonder what he meant by that. (I know Usain was called the Lightning Bolt, but I am not sure if Matteo goes by the nickname Hammer).
Maybe he tried some home repairs and hit a live wire? Might explain the hair too
Last edited by Liamvalid on Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mary, queen of shots

Tennis Players Random, Random 2.0

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:40 pm Probably the lights.
The Hammer was Matteo's nickname in the UTS tournament that Mouratoglou held during COVID. Each player had an avatar, basically. It was very video-gamey. Tsitsipas was The Green God, Gasquet was The Virtuoso, Paire was The Rebel, etc.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Aaaaaah, that explains it.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:32 am Aaaaaah, that explains it.
I like the DIY home repair theory better.