National, Regional and Local News

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Post by ti-amie »

Why this? Because of this.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

And the media continues to report, and thus glorify, these crimes.
Mere gun control will not work in the U.S. - there are too many ways to buy a gun illegally.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: As long as the media continue to 'report' these mass killings, they will keep happening, and will escalate in number.
The great majority of these killers do this terrible deed because they know they will become 'famous' from it. Even if they're killed in the process of the crime, in their mind, they will go out 'in a blaze of glory', having accomplished what they wanted to - which is often some type of 'revenge', as well as 'fame' for themselves.

IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW RATIONAL THINKING PEOPLE VIEW THESE CRIMES - the ONLY thing that matters is how the person committing these crimes views them. And I am absolutely 100% convinced that if they KNEW that they and their crime would receive zero media attention, 95% of them would not do it.

At this point, is this avenue not at least worth a try? It certainly would not do any harm - and has the very real potential to save lives. Not trying it is simply very, very selfish.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:11 am
And his approval rating will dip three more points.
Because, you know, stating the obvious in a rational way is just so out of character for the POTUS.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:36 am
Owendonovan wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:11 am If there's an active shooter at my $60,000 a year elementary school, my procedure is this:
1. Quiet my students
2. Flip the flap next to the window on the unlock-able doors to my gym so the shooter can't see in.

That'll work, huh?
You lost me there, Owen. Was that what the murdered teacher did?
Sorry, I am not understanding.
That's what most teachers are trained to do, the exception for my procedure is most classrooms have locks on the doors, mine doesn't. I can't, in a real way, protect my students if there's an active shooter in my school. What's even worse, I typically have an entire grade because I teach Phys. Ed., not half a grade like most academic classes are split up.

Post by Owendonovan »

Deuce wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:11 am And the media continues to report, and thus glorify, these crimes.
Mere gun control will not work in the U.S. - there are too many ways to buy a gun illegally.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: As long as the media continue to 'report' these mass killings, they will keep happening, and will escalate in number.
The great majority of these killers do this terrible deed because they know they will become 'famous' from it. Even if they're killed in the process of the crime, in their mind, they will go out 'in a blaze of glory', having accomplished what they wanted to - which is often some type of 'revenge', as well as 'fame' for themselves.

IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW RATIONAL THINKING PEOPLE VIEW THESE CRIMES - the ONLY thing that matters is how the person committing these crimes views them. And I am absolutely 100% convinced that if they KNEW that they and their crime would receive zero media attention, 95% of them would not do it.

At this point, is this avenue not at least worth a try? It certainly would not do any harm - and has the very real potential to save lives. Not trying it is simply very, very selfish.
The flip side to this could be to graphically show exactly, in unaltered photos, what 10, 19, 27 or however many innocent children get slaughtered next time looks like.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Beto after he was thrown out.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Sigh

P1

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

P2

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

P3

Scott Huffman #ProChoice @HuffmanForNC

Bellaire High School
North Crowley High School
McAuliffe Elementary School
South Oak Cliff High School
Texas A&M University-Commerce
Sonora High School
Western Illinois University
Oxford High School
Robb Elementary
Will this be the last school?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I knew there had been many. That list is simply impossible to fathom.
Anybody that votes for a congressperson that supports the NRA is simply as guilty as they are.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Owendonovan wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:13 pm
Deuce wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:11 am And the media continues to report, and thus glorify, these crimes.

The flip side to this could be to graphically show exactly, in unaltered photos, what 10, 19, 27 or however many innocent children get slaughtered next time looks like.
My point is that the people who commit these crimes very often feed off of the attention their crimes - and therefore they - receive. Showing the graphic results may help to make the general population more sensitive to these events - but it would only encourage those who commit the crimes even more.
If the attention is removed, it would be like removing the main fuel for most of these people.

All the people who commit these mass murders do it for a reason. And whatever the reason is, it makes sense to them - though it may seem irrational to the rest of us.
Sometimes it's because they were bullied... sometimes it's because they were fired... sometimes it's because they felt/feel persecuted... sometimes it's because the voices in their head told them to do it as an act to save humanity... Whatever the reason, it makes sense to them. And so they want people to know the reason - because, in their irrational state, they often believe that if people knew the reason, they'd understand that what they did was justified.

The thing is - they don't always state the reason overtly. Sometimes they leave it to investigators to figure it out. Sometimes it's easy - like if they'd recently been fired, etc.
Sometimes, before they commit the act, they'll send a letter (or Email) to a news outlet, explaining why they are doing what they're doing - knowing that the message - the reason - will reach millions of people. Sometimes - as in Buffalo - they'll livestream what they're doing (I fear this will become an unfortunate trend). Even this kid who just did the school shooting posted on facebook that he was going to shoot his grandmother, then posted that he shot her and was now going to shoot up a school. It's all about attention. They often have illusions of grandeur.
100% of them know for certain that their act will be the top story in the news. And in a perverted, twisted way, knowing this, they feel like they have accomplished something.

Gun control is far too simplistic a solution. I'm all for it - but I also know that it won't solve the problem. It would take a few generations to solve the problem that way, as you'd have to change the American way of thinking. They see guns as part of their 'rights and freedoms'.
Plus, as I mentioned earlier - even if you can no longer buy a gun and ammo at Walmart, anyone who wants to commit a mass murder like this will be able to get a gun illegally. It's not like people who commit mass killings are squeaky clean, upstanding citizens who wouldn't dare break the law. Somehow, I don't think they'd mind obtaining their gun(s) illegally.
But, yes - gun control is a step in the right direction. But it's a very small step.

I say remove their fuel - which is the massive media attention they know that their act will receive.
The only people who TRULY need to know about these events are the people who are directly involved - like, in this case, the parents and relatives of the children and teachers killed. For the rest of us, as disgusting as it sounds, it is 'entertainment' and fodder for gossip - to be able to say to each other "Oh, this is terrible, isn't it? When will it stop?", and to propose our ad hoc solutions.

It's difficult for us Canadians to identify with what it must be like to be a teacher in the U.S. I personally know 2 gym teachers - and they don't receive instructions on what to do in the case of an 'active shooter'. It's not something that is really considered here.
But it will be. If these mass killings continue in the U.S. - which all evidence says will be the case -, then it's simply a matter of time before it crosses the border to us. It's inevitable - even with our much stricter gun control, and non-gun mentality, as compared to the U.S. We've had a few of them - but not with anywhere approaching the scale or frequency of those in the U.S.
And the reason we've had the ones that we've had - and the ones we will have - is because the people who did them saw the massive attention that these events get in the American media.
Without that, there is no fuel.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by Owendonovan »

ti-amie wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:59 pm

Beto after he was thrown out.

What Beto did NEEDS to happen, by anyone, not just Beto, anytime these morally vacant politicians (abbott, cruz, desantis, greene, trump, bobert, cawthorne, etc.) spew the disingenuous verbal diarrhea that so frequently evacuates their mouths. (was that too much?)