National, Regional and Local News

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
mmmm8

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Post by mmmm8 »

Portugal did it in 2001. To great results, drug-related HIV infections fell 90% (one of their key goals was to drive down HIV infections), less drug-related crime, fewer drug related deaths and... less drug use!

Like Oregon, they not only decriminalized drugs but also put in harm reduction programs, treating drug use as a healthcare issue rather than a crime issue.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I did not know it was that long ago. But indeed, the success has been total. Of course, as long as some societies simply are bent in punishment, no data will convince anybody.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:43 am I did not know it was that long ago. But indeed, the success has been total. Of course, as long as some societies simply are bent in punishment, no data will convince anybody.
It's that but it's also money that's involved with drugs. Not only the narco money and things that busy but the budget that goes into "fighting drugs," supporting related military/police, customs, border control and other agencies and operations, etc. As always, it the common good against well-organized powerful interests. The latter will almost always win.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

@Ponchi I posted a gif the other day. I'm not posting it again, but I'm thinking it. LOL!
► Show Spoiler

Completely disagree about West/Northwest being a different country. People sure like to think that's the case though.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The USA is really four countries. The North west is one. The North East is another. The south is different, and the central/midwest the fourth.
The mentalities are different all over.

Post by JazzNU »

Like I said, people sure like to think that, but it's not really all that different. Accessories and design may differ on the surface, but the base is very much the same.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:19 am The USA is really four countries. The North west is one. The North East is another. The south is different, and the central/midwest the fourth.
The mentalities are different all over.
The US is actually 56 countries.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

Not belittling what happened, but this reporter doesn't seem to be all that familiar with tech. The passwords are a problem, the Windows 7 part isn't.

The number of Window 7's licenses still in use is high, especially the Pro version. Think it's over 100 million last time I read something about it a month or two ago. Widely regarded as the best, most stable OS version they had, and one that you can still keep safe, including paying Microsoft for their extended security update support. It'd be no different than if they were running Windows 10. So, unless she's reporting they are running an OS that hasn't gotten a security update in a year and was therefore more vulnerable to hacks, this part is a non-issue.
Last edited by JazzNU on Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Agree. 7 was super stable, and a solid platform. They will always be tainted by '98, Millennium and Vista, but XP and 7 started solid OS.
And I an guessing that you meant "NOT" all that familiar, JazzNu.
shtexas United States of America

Post by shtexas »

Single digit temperatures in Texas and they are doing rolling blackouts. It is about to go under 50 degrees in the house. Meanwhile, my boss called me from a wealthier zip code and they haven't had their power cut at any point.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I saw some folks on Twitter asking why, if Texas is so eager to secede they begged POTUS for emergency aid.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:24 pm I saw some folks on Twitter asking why, if Texas is so eager to secede they begged POTUS for emergency aid.
Or why they're so upset that Mark Cuban stopped playing the national anthem?
shtexas United States of America

Post by shtexas »

shtexas wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:02 pm Single digit temperatures in Texas and they are doing rolling blackouts. It is about to go under 50 degrees in the house. Meanwhile, my boss called me from a wealthier zip code and they haven't had their power cut at any point.
This is inhumane. It is absolutely freezing inside. The rolling blackouts are not rolling. They are on the same neighborhoods. It is a blackout. Period! No relief in sight.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Gather everybody in one room. All possible blankets. Close doors. Do not drink alcohol.
Hope you won't need to go to that extreme.