With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

National, Regional and Local News

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
shtexas United States of America

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Post by shtexas »

The stupidity never stops.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:51 pm

Just WOW! I hardly hold a high opinion of this opportunistic sniveling little rat, but clearly it had room to fall because I was a little taken aback by the reckless carelessness of that statement. I'm guessing his racist ranch is self sufficient and he just doesn't give a damn about anyone else's plight. He's reached Tom Delay bottom basement levels of assholedom in my book of terrible Texas politicians with this BS.

Post by shtexas »

Perry was Governor when 2011 happened and he did nothing. Abbott went on Fox News to peddle lies while we suffered in the cold. I'm not sure who is worse.

Post by JazzNU »

Post by shtexas »

I was wondering how many dead bodies they may find in homes.

It was that cold inside. I was wearing six layers (I could barely move) and was under 4 quilts and blankets. with a wool cap on my head and scarf around my face, and I was still freezing.
patrick United States of America

Post by patrick »

Not good. Stay safe

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:21 pm

:ax
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

shtexas wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:27 pm
It was that cold inside. I was wearing six layers (I could barely move) and was under 4 quilts and blankets. with a wool cap on my head and scarf around my face, and I was still freezing.

If the power goes out again, make certain you are also covering your hands and feet. A lot of warmth is lost through your extremities. If you have a way to cover your ears if the hat doesn't cover them, do that too.

Scarfs. Now this is something I always did during the winters when I lived in Chicago. If you have two scarves, tie one underneath, so that's it's laying around your neck, against your skin under one layer. And then tie the second scarf normally as a top layer. If you only have one scarf, see about using a t-shirt as the inner layer to help block a bit more of that cold air reaching your body.

4 quilts and blankets? That's good. Are you using one wrapped more tightly around your body and then the others are covers over that? That's a good approach if they aren't doing enough to keep you warm. Kind of like making the first into the shape of a sleeping bag around you. Speaking of which, you should use any and all camping gear safe to use indoors that you own.

Whatever room you are centralized in, if it has doors, you can put blankets or towels in the bottom of the door to trap the heat in as much as possible. Even if you have power, it's a good idea to get this ready, you want to trap as much of the warm air as possible once you do get heat. I'd also suggest this for the main bathroom you are using.

If you have gas cooking, boil water on the stove periodically. The warm air and humidity helps greatly. If you have electric cooking, consider doing this anyway towards the end of whatever outage rotation you are on, because the air is probably seriously dry given the temps you've had and it'll help and the additional warmth will linger a bit if the power gets shut off again. Two large uncovered pots on the stove is my usual.

Unfortunately I've gone through multiple power outages during ice and snowstorms over the years, so this is all stuff I've done to get by until the power returns.

Post by shtexas »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:26 pm
shtexas wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:27 pm

If the power goes out again, make certain you are also covering your hands and feet. A lot of warmth is lost through your extremities. If you have a way to cover your ears if the hat doesn't cover them, do that too.

Scarfs. Now this is something I always did during the winters when I lived in Chicago. If you have two scarves, tie one underneath, so that's it's laying around your neck, against your skin under one layer. And then tie the second scarf normally as a top layer. If you only have one scarf, see about using a t-shirt as the inner layer to help block a bit more of that cold air reaching your body.

4 quilts and blankets? That's good. Are you using one wrapped more tightly around your body and then the others are covers over that? That's a good approach if they aren't doing enough to keep you warm. Kind of like making the first into the shape of a sleeping bag around you. Speaking of which, you should use any and all camping gear safe to use indoors that you own.

Whatever room you are centralized in, if it has doors, you can put blankets or towels in the bottom of the door to trap the heat in as much as possible. Even if you have power, it's a good idea to get this ready, you want to trap as much of the warm air as possible once you do get heat. I'd also suggest this for the main bathroom you are using.

If you have gas cooking, boil water on the stove periodically. The warm air and humidity helps greatly. If you have electric cooking, consider doing this anyway towards the end of whatever outage rotation you are on, because the air is probably seriously dry given the temps you've had and it'll help and the additional warmth will linger a bit if the power gets shut off again. Two large uncovered pots on the stove is my usual.

Unfortunately I've gone through multiple power outages during ice and snowstorms over the years, so this is all stuff I've done to get by until the power returns.
Many thanks.

I realize that many have it worse. At least we got power in intervals. There are some melting snow to flush their toilets.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

LET THEM EAT ICE!

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

A heinous human being. To the core.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »