National, Regional and Local News

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Post by ponchi101 »

And he will remain governor.
When a dem does the slightest thing wrong, other dems call for his/her beheading. No matter what was it, forceful demands to step down come forth and usually work.
A Rep does anything, and they are a tribe.
And I know that morality is something one would like to see playing out, but there is also a place for realpolityk.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Los Angeles City Councilwoman Resigns Amid Uproar Over Racist Remarks
The former Council president, Nury Martinez, faced calls from state leaders and President Biden to leave office after making racist remarks on a recording that emerged on Sunday.
Caught on tape with her were two other council members, Gil Cedillo and Kevin de León, as well as Ron Herrera, president of the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor. The men, all well-known members of the Latino political establishment in California, did not confront Ms. Martinez and at times kept the conversation going with derogatory comments of their own, according to the recording obtained by The New York Times.
The 80-minute recording, which was first reported by The Los Angeles Times on Sunday, includes audio of Ms. Martinez mocking the Black child of a white councilman, Mike Bonin, in racist terms.
The audio also included ugly remarks describing recent migrants from the Mexican state of Oaxaca, among other disparaging comments.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/12/us/l ... signs.html

If you don't know by now that everything is being recorded either visually or by audio, you're an idiot. She and her 2 colleagues are idiots. Now they're being investigated for voting rights act violations. Cronyism at it's finest.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Owendonovan wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:46 am ...

If you don't know by now that everything is being recorded either visually or by audio, you're an idiot. She and her 2 colleagues are idiots. Now they're being investigated for voting rights act violations. Cronyism at it's finest.
:notworthy:
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Serious question: why would you want to tear down the HS? What do you gain?
Sorry if I am being naive.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Who would send their child there?

In this case I defer to the parents of the victims. Whatever they, and the spouses want is okay with me.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

But tearing down a building that is structurally fine, and having to build another school to replace it at the cost of millions of dollars, is highly impractical, and is, essentially, a waste of a lot of money.

I understand the parents and loved ones of the victims wanting this done. And I empathise with them. But, as ponchi said, what is gained by doing that? It doesn't erase the tragedy. It doesn't erase the memories of the tragedy. It doesn't punish the killer any more. It does nothing to prevent a similar tragedy from happening.
All it does is make some people feel that something has been done - but is that really the case?

It's a massive thing to do just to make people feel that something has been done, even if nothing really practical has been done.
I think it's rather irrational to contemplate tearing the school down. Again, I understand that the families of the loved ones are not necessarily in a rational state when it comes to anything involving this tragedy. And that's to be expected. But it shouldn't be acted upon. Erasing the location of the crime does not eradicate the crime that was committed.

I think that tearing down locations where tragedies occur simply provides the illusion that something practical has been done - but in reality, that's not the case.
We need to get away from the thinking that NOT tearing the school down means that people don't care about what happened - because that is neither fair, nor true.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suspect, 15, in Custody After Shooting Rampage Left 5 Dead in Raleigh Neighborhood
An off-duty police officer was among those killed in the attack. At least two other people were wounded, including another officer.

By Emily Cataneo, Rick Rojas, Vimal Patel, McKenna Oxenden and Mike Ives
Published Oct. 13, 2022
Updated Oct. 14, 2022, 1:35 p.m. ET

RALEIGH, N.C. — At least five people were fatally shot on Thursday as a 15-year-old boy carved a trail of bloodshed through a residential neighborhood in Raleigh, the authorities said, leaving a crime scene that stretched over two miles and setting off a sprawling investigation to determine a motive for the attacks.

“We don’t have answers as to why this tragedy occurred,” Chief Estella Patterson of the Raleigh Police Department told reporters during a briefing on Friday morning.

The dead include a city police officer, Gabriel Torres, 29, who was on his way to work when he was shot on Thursday afternoon, Chief Patterson said. She identified the other victims as a 52-year-old woman, a 49-year-old woman, a 35-year-old woman and a 16-year-old boy.

The 15-year-old suspect, whose identity the authorities have not disclosed, is in custody at a hospital, in critical condition, the authorities said. It is unclear how and when he was injured. Two other people were wounded in the shootings, Chief Patterson said: a 59-year-old woman who was in critical condition and a police officer who was treated at a hospital and released.

It was not immediately clear whether any of the victims knew the assailant, and the police chief did not provide any details about what kind of gun was used.

The shooting occurred in the Hedingham neighborhood in the northeast of Raleigh, where homes and golf courses sit near the Neuse River Greenway, a bike and walking trail that winds through wetlands and pine groves.

When the police responded late Thursday afternoon, they arrived to discover the bodies of two victims on a street lined with tidy duplex homes, and then found others scattered in the neighborhood and on the nearby trail, the authorities said.

The attacks prompted the authorities to implore residents to stay in their homes or away from the neighborhood as officers began a manhunt. Eventually, the police said that the suspect had been contained, and by 9:37 p.m., he was taken into custody.

“It was a long standoff, a long situation,” Chief Patterson said.

The burst of violence has plunged Raleigh into a familiar agony, as the latest American community forced to grapple with the aftermath of a mass shooting.

“There are several families in our community waking up this morning without their loved ones,” Raleigh’s mayor, Mary-Ann Baldwin, said during the news conference on Friday morning.

“I saw the faces of Raleigh police officers last night and their pain was evident, and I know that is happening all over the city,” Gov. Roy Cooper of North Carolina said on Friday. “Today, we’re sad, we’re angry and we want to know the answers to all the questions. Those questions will be answered — some today and more over time.”

Even as investigators were still searching to understand the motivation for the attack and how it unfolded, Mr. Cooper said it was already clear that elected officials needed to do more to address the scourge of gun violence.

“We all know the core truth: No neighborhood, no parent, no children, no grandparent — no one — should feel this fear in their communities. No one,” Mr. Cooper, a Democrat, said during the news conference. “As policymakers, we cannot and will not turn away from what has happened here. We must be resolved to make changes and to succeed.”

In the neighborhood where the shooting took place, residents were reeling, overwhelmed by the chaos and confusion that had been unleashed by the attack, as well as by the horror of such violence hitting so close to home.

“I can’t believe this is happening in my neighborhood,” Cheryl St. James, a nurse, said late Thursday as she inched her car through traffic caused by a crush of police and emergency vehicles. “It’s scary.”

On Eagle Trace Drive, about a mile and a half from where the shooting occurred, sirens could be heard on Thursday night wailing in the distance as cars inched forward and police vehicles with flashing lights nosed through.

Ethan Garner, a project manager who has lived in the area for three years, said that he had left to get something to eat in the early evening. Hours later, he was sitting in his car, watching television on his phone as police officers attended to the crime scene.

“I leave my doors unlocked,” he said. “Yeah, I have cameras, but I never worry about anything like that. Nothing’s ever happened.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/13/us/r ... 2afbcd939d

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

From the coverage yesterday:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

^ Copy and paste...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

When you think that life in the USA can't get any lower... think again...

What can you possibly call a country in which one MUST assume that every driver on the road is carrying a gun and is ready to shoot you at any sign of a disagreement?

A country where things like this (below) and mass killings occur with incredible frequency cannot call itself civilized.

Two Fathers Shoot Each Other's Daughters in Road Rage Incident...

R.I.P. Amal...

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

These two idiots deserve some severe prison time.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »