With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

National, Regional and Local News

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Excerpts from a long thread about this "new" phenomenon.

To continue click into the last tweet.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I'd like to know what exactly one could learn about US from a baloon or a drone 10+ miles up what one can't from a top class military satellite.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

And if there is indeed something valuable then is US flying such things over China and Russia?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:18 am I'd like to know what exactly one could learn about US from a baloon or a drone 10+ miles up what one can't from a top class military satellite.
Malcolm Nance explained it.
It seems that the Chinese do not have the tech to have really good spy satellites. They don't have the optics, they don't have the electronics.
So lowering the platform to only 11 miles is one way of doing it.
He also said that this thing would get the resolution you can roughly get from Google Earth. But, of course, you can fly it where you want it to (until they shoot it down).

Coupled with the Ukranian invasion, my totally unqualified opinion would be that both the Russian and the Chinese army's/military complexes are way over estimated. Terrible to think that the war in Ukraine has now gone for a year, with Russia doing only a few inroads. And that is without actual NATO forces coming in. Maybe China is as overrated.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:11 pm
Suliso wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:18 am I'd like to know what exactly one could learn about US from a baloon or a drone 10+ miles up what one can't from a top class military satellite.
Malcolm Nance explained it.
It seems that the Chinese do not have the tech to have really good spy satellites. They don't have the optics, they don't have the electronics.
So lowering the platform to only 11 miles is one way of doing it.
He also said that this thing would get the resolution you can roughly get from Google Earth. But, of course, you can fly it where you want it to (until they shoot it down).

Coupled with the Ukranian invasion, my totally unqualified opinion would be that both the Russian and the Chinese army's/military complexes are way over estimated. Terrible to think that the war in Ukraine has now gone for a year, with Russia doing only a few inroads. And that is without actual NATO forces coming in. Maybe China is as overrated.
Definitely something to think about.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

More on East Palestine, Ohio

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The GQP is blaming POTUS and Sec of Transportation Buttigieg for the derailment and not the company that runs the railroad.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Trains - and their cargo - can be very dangerous...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Wow. This is the first I've heard of this tragedy. I can't thank you but wow.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:34 pm Wow. This is the first I've heard of this tragedy. I can't thank you but wow.
Yes - almost 10 years ago.
All of the video footage and photos of the explosions and fires are actual footage and photos from that disaster.
Something like that transforms a town forever.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Pittsburgh being used as a reference point for this East Palestine derailment is just lazy at a certain point. Youngstown is plenty well known enough to be referenced more often so people can be informed about where this is located. Pittsburgh makes it seem like this is occurring somewhere that it is not. Youngstown is affected by this and has been since it occurred. Pittsburgh is not.

I'm seeing a lot of radical environmental types and those with a climate change agenda talking about this, so I'll hold off for a bit on believing the worst. Seems highly speculative what they are talking about right now. Several are actually telling on themselves with what they are saying about Pittsburgh.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:34 am Pittsburgh being used as a reference point for this East Palestine derailment is just lazy at a certain point. Youngstown is plenty well known enough to be referenced more often so people can be informed about where this is located. Pittsburgh makes it seem like this is occurring somewhere that it is not. Youngstown is affected by this and has been since it occurred. Pittsburgh is not.

I'm seeing a lot of radical environmental types and those with a climate change agenda talking about this, so I'll hold off for a bit on believing the worst. Seems highly speculative what they are talking about right now. Several are actually telling on themselves with what they are saying about Pittsburgh.
Thank you for clarifying the situation geographically. I saw a map earlier today that showed East Palestine on the map and how the major river systems that feed into the Mississippi as well as the Mississippi itself will be affected by the run off.

I try not to post TikTok videos here but I thought that the man's explanation about what was happening was the clearest I've seen.