With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

National, Regional and Local News

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU beat me to it. Google maps tells you that the distance from Aurora to Boulder is 35 miles.
It was bound to happen; with this level of violence in the USA, you will see repetitions. This uniquely American phenomenon of the white male that enters a random location and shoots strangers keeps spreading. By now, the sole solution would be an Australian-type ban on their beloved AR15's and similar. We know how that will not happen.
And I hope you are not insulted but: where this a different country and the USA would slap a "travel advisory" on it. I have a link to the State Department's travel advisory and they slap a category 4 (the highest) on plenty of locations that have never made the news in this form. Because this does not happen almost anywhere else.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

And Boulder is pretty close to Columbine too!

Are mass shootings happening all over? Yes, and unfortunate truth. But let's not push past that it is seriously bizarre for this one tight geographical area in Colorado being home to 3 of the most deadly mass shootings in the country.

Post by JazzNU »

There's also this small issue. It is remarkable how many mass murderers caught and apprehended at the scene are unharmed at arrest.

dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Police have released the name of the shooter. Based on his name, I don't think he's white. All they said was that he was 21 years old and had lived most of his life in the United States.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

dryrunguy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:48 pm Police have released the name of the shooter. Based on his name, I don't think he's white. All they said was that he was 21 years old and had lived most of his life in the United States.

Hard to go off a name. The fool in Florida sending pipe bombs had tall tales about his heritage. But for the purposes of arrest, it really only matters what you outwardly look like. This may not be a white guy, but that's what he looked like to most everyone watching those videos when he was arrested and was walked away unharmed.

Post by JazzNU »

Islamophobia will be entertaining the chat now by all accounts. I'm sure the Republicans will ramp up the fear as high as they possibly can to try to distract from any and all calls for gun control.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

We had this discussion somewhere here on the New Board recently. Things haven't changed I see.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

Not sure what Tammy is doing. But DeSantis is going to be the President-Elect come 2024 if she and others keep this kind of thing up. She's been making herself notable for all the wrong reasons of late. Neera's nomination fell apart, doesn't mean efforts were made. Also, did I miss the memo and Vivek Murthy's heritage has suddenly changed?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:02 pm Not sure what Tammy is doing. But DeSantis is going to be the President-Elect come 2024 if she and others keep this kind of thing up. She's been making herself notable for all the wrong reasons of late. Neera's nomination fell apart, doesn't mean efforts were made. Also, did I miss the memo and Vivek Murthy's heritage has suddenly changed?
The issue is South Asians vs Northern Asians. Northern Asians don't consider South Asians "Asian". Of course I'm speaking in general terms. We had a whole discussion about how at one point my job tried to set up an "Asian Society" and chaos ensued. Duckworth is following this mind set. And don't even try to add Filipino's to the mix.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:23 pm
The issue is South Asians vs Northern Asians. Northern Asians don't consider South Asians "Asian". Of course I'm speaking in general terms. We had a whole discussion about how at one point my job tried to set up an "Asian Society" and chaos ensued. Duckworth is following this mind set. And don't even try to add Filipino's to the mix.

Oh I remember. And I know. But if you see her full comments, she's acting like she's more inclusive. But she clearly does mean what you're saying, but her words say something different. I don't see how this can go well for her. Not even sure she's gonna make it out of the IL primary if she keeps down the track she's been on.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

So he brought an arsenal to attack - who exactly?
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Oh. Nothing excessive about that at all. :roll:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I said it before: how small must your penis be?
Seriously: how can a country admit that a man carrying this level of firepower DOES NOT mean that you have a huge problem?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem