For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day. And do not quote any post, as it will put you over the limit of characters for our parser
PREDICTIONS FOR RG ARE DUE ON SUNDAY 2ND, EARLY IN THE MORNING

'23 Wimbledon Day 14 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ashkor87 India

Re: '23 Wimbledon Day 14 OoP & Discussion

Post by ashkor87 »

that first game of the second set was where the match was decided, I feel .. the tiebreak, of course, but it only got to a tiebreak because Djokovic seemd to be short of energy at the beginning of the set. Gilbert once said that the start of the second, third set is where the match swings - either someone is super-charged or a bit down..and the match never hets back on even keel.. happened this time for sure.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I read a good statement by Djokovic. That this defeat was, in a way, a balancing of his record, because he had won some matches that perhaps he should not have won.
A very balanced opinion, and kudos to him for that.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

he actually said that while receiving his trophy,, maturity of a great champion.. 'meet with triumph and disaster.. and treat those two imposters just the same..' as the inscription at Wimby says..
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:43 pm he actually said that while receiving his trophy,, maturity of a great champion.. 'meet with triumph and disaster.. and treat those two imposters just the same..' as the inscription at Wimby says..
He repeated it in the press conference, too. He cited the 2019 final vs Roger as one he probably should have lost. I was impressed that he knows the phrase "even Steven."
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:40 pm I read a good statement by Djokovic. That this defeat was, in a way, a balancing of his record, because he had won some matches that perhaps he should not have won.
A very balanced opinion, and kudos to him for that.
.....WELL, until you read more into these recent quotes- which included his making sure to mention during this same chat you referenced above about how he had beaten Roger at Wimbledon (one of three Slam matches where he saved two match points with Federer serving). AND, I believe during his later press conference, chatting about how he had NEVER!!!! played anyone like Alcaraz before- that Carlos has the BEST!!!! playing qualities of Roger AND Rafa (and himself, he "humbly" added). I mean, a fair statement, of course, comparing a player who has won 2 Slam singles titles vs. Roger's 20 and Rafa's 22. Clearly, he's going to continue to go out of his way to passive aggressively put down Rafa and Roger every chance that he gets, because HE is the BEST!! PLAYER!!!! EVER!!!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :bananas: :bananas: :bananas: :bananas: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

The only thing I'll give Novak with his recent comments, compared to his more recent comments, is that, at least, he is now showing off his Pure & True Inner Beelzebub, Former Faux-Humility-Be-Damned. "It Ain't Happening" indeed. But, please. Let's not try to make "good statement" and "kudos" happen when it comes to Djokovic. Novak could recite "Mary Had a Little Lamb", and still make it offensive. :gorgeous:

PS: You all REALIZE that Wimbledon has ENDED!!- correct? :gorgeous:
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:28 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:43 pm he actually said that while receiving his trophy,, maturity of a great champion.. 'meet with triumph and disaster.. and treat those two imposters just the same..' as the inscription at Wimby says..
He repeated it in the press conference, too. He cited the 2019 final vs Roger as one he probably should have lost. I was impressed that he knows the phrase "even Steven."
Sure. And next, he'll have his parents and Lesser Brothers in the stands wear "I Beat Roger at Wimbledon in 2019 After Saving Match Points, and All I Got Was This Lousy T-shirt". Just in case we ever forget. :gorgeous:
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

We approach this from a different perspective. The devil himself could give a statement and if the statement rings true, I will accept it.
And I would like to believe that some people can change and can improve; I would not like to be in a place where I will be judged by what I said when I was 18, or even 30 (I would be imprisoned fast enough).

And, sure, Wimbledon ended. But this is still about Wimbledon and what are we going to talk about? Kevin Anderson's return at Newport? STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!!!!
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:48 pm We approach this from a different perspective. The devil himself could give a statement and if the statement rings true, I will accept it.
And I would like to believe that some people can change and can improve; I would not like to be in a place where I will be judged by what I said when I was 18, or even 30 (I would be imprisoned fast enough).

And, sure, Wimbledon ended. But this is still about Wimbledon and what are we going to talk about? Kevin Anderson's return at Newport? STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!!!!
:lol:

I think it says a lot that people are still talking about Wimbledon. Sadly it's more about the Gentlemen than the Ladies but it shows that the quality of that Final was high and people just want to talk about it.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

The ratings were pretty good in the US for both finals.
One interesting stat is that the average viewer during the men's final watched for over 2h20mins. That's crazy - shows how enthralling the match was
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And maybe the 2h20m was because, like me, I woke up and started watching after the 1st set was done.
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:04 pm And maybe the 2h20m was because, like me, I woke up and started watching after the 1st set was done.
That just means you jumped to the good part. Thank goodness the 1st set wasn’t an indicator for the rest of the match.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:04 pm And maybe the 2h20m was because, like me, I woke up and started watching after the 1st set was done.
lol. you woke up before I did. I woke up just in time to catch the final 2 points of the second set tiebreak!