With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Covid-19 Updates & Info

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
atlpam United States of America

Re: Covid-19 Updates & Info

Post by atlpam »

I think a big part of the issue in the US is that the younger population is now taking more risk because they feel like they don't need to worry about protecting the older vaccinated population anymore. When I look at the Georgia trends, the cases are ticking back up in the 30-59 group, but the 7-day average for over 60 is still trending down. I'm hopeful that now that the state has opened vaccine eligibility to everyone 16 and over that our overall %vaccinated will start to reverse the upward case trend. I for one will still be limiting my socializing to primarily outdoor activities. I am looking forward to having some friends over for dinner once we are all vaccinated.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Sorry but I don't trust this one bit. I'll carry my little white card thank you very much.

NY Launches Vaccine Passport For Use At Venues, But Privacy Expert Urges You To Read The Fine Print
BY DAVID CRUZ
MARCH 27, 2021 1:25 P.M.

As a way of helping stadiums and concert halls reopen safer, faster and at greater capacity, the state has rolled out a smartphone app that confirms whether someone has received a COVID vaccine or recent negative test for the coronavirus. But one expert contends that the platform's privacy policy fails to outline how secure the app really is.

"It's really just high-tech hydroxychloroquine," Albert Fox Cahn, an attorney and founder of Surveillance Technology Oversight Project—an advocacy group ensuring privacy rights are upheld—said of the "Excelsior Passport" app.

The app officially launched Friday following a trial run involving thousands of New Yorkers testing the program. The Excelsior Passport is the first of its kind to be rolled out in United States and allows specific sites that administer COVID vaccines or test for the coronavirus to upload the data to the app.

The app, produced by IBM in partnership with the state, functions similar to a virtual airline boarding pass. Activating the passport produces a secure QR code that can then be shown and scanned by a participating business or venue using a companion app to confirm someone has been vaccinated or recently tested negative for the virus. A pass can also be printed and shown at the door. The state said other types of proof can be used at the door as a way of "reducing any barriers to usage."

So far, big venues such as Madison Square Garden in Manhattan have announced they will begin using the technology over the next few weeks, with owner James Dolan saying the app is "critical to New York's recovery." Users who don't have a smartphone can also bring physical documentation from a healthcare provider showing they either received a vaccine or tested negative for the coronavirus.

The hope is to decrease virus transmission in large venues and even allow them to operate at greater capacity as the state's reopening moves along. In a statement, Governor Andrew Cuomo said Excelsior will allow "more sectors of the economy to reopen safely and keeping personal information secure."

The state is opening the use of the Excelsior Passport to smaller venues in the arts and entertainment business beginning April 2nd. The roll out of the app comes just weeks after the state announced that baseball stadiums can start the seasons with limited numbers of fans in the stands beginning April 1st. Venues that do use the technology will be allowed to open at greater capacity. Those that don't will continue to face more stringent capacity restrictions.

IBM and the state insist user data will be kept confidential thanks to the use of blockchain technology, which records public data that can then be safely stored in a variety of database. But Cahn told Gothamist/WNYC that the fine print does not explicitly state how the data is tracked or safeguarded.

"I have more detailed technical documentation about the privacy impact of nearly every app on my phone than I do for this health pass," Cahn said. "IBM and the governor are using lots of buzzwords, but they're not explaining their cryptographic model. They're not explaining the security, implementation. And on top of it, the past itself is incredibly revealing, disclosing not only people's health status, and name but their date of birth."

Cahn said there are no guarantees listed on the terms of service determining whether the information won't be accessed by police departments or the Immigration or Customs Enforcement agency.

Cahn specifically pointed to the application's terms and services, which he said "have absolutely nothing to do with this type of app" and don't specifically cite the type of blockchain technology—including public, private, consortium, or hybrid–IBM utilizes.

"I know that it's very easy for this to come off as sort of alarmist or as over the top," Cahn said. "But, no, usually when I'm pushing back against these apps, I'm pushing back on the periphery; I'm making mild critiques. This is just like, my jaw hit the floor when I read how poorly this policy was written."

Cahn also criticized the state's use of a system requiring a smartphone, which he said creates a new form of "digital segregation" since it would exclude the millions of New Yorkers who lack a smartphone.

Cuomo's office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

https://gothamist.com/news/ny-launches- ... fine-print
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Sorry, but: the MILLIONS of New Yorkers that lack a smartphone? Is that correct? NYC is a town with MILLIONS of tech-troglodytes?
I want my little white card too. Actually, I will tell them to paste the sticker of my vaccine on my yellow fever vaccination card, which has my other vaccines too.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:57 pm Sorry, but: the MILLIONS of New Yorkers that lack a smartphone? Is that correct? NYC is a town with MILLIONS of tech-troglodytes?
I want my little white card too. Actually, I will tell them to paste the sticker of my vaccine on my yellow fever vaccination card, which has my other vaccines too.
There are many NY'ers who are on special programs for disadvantaged people who do not have smart phones. In the Before Time I used to see this a lot when I took the bus to church.

If MSG is going for it I expect the USO will do the same. And that would be an existential crisis for me. :D
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

My daughter's inlaw's hold a family Zoom chat once a week. I jump in from time to time. They're pushing very hard to have everyone together on Mother's Day at either my daughters mother-in-law or at her sister's new place in New Jersey.

I noticed that when you say you have gotten either your first or second shot the next question is "which one". The preference seems to be for Pfizer. I think it's safe to say that in this part of the world it's considered the gold standard.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Better than Moderna? They seem functionally indistinguishable to me.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Most people I know ask which one, but there isn't a gold standard in my circles, just curiosity and sometimes questions about how things went in terms of side effects. But nothing further than that.

I haven't changed Mother's Day plans. I made an outdoor dinner reservation and everyone is on board with that as the safest option. I've thought about making a backup indoor reservation in case it is pouring, but the place I made the reservation at has a great outdoor area that is covered, so I think it'll still work.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:59 pm
There are many NY'ers who are on special programs for disadvantaged people who do not have smart phones. In the Before Time I used to see this a lot when I took the bus to church.
There's also many low income who are on subsidized plans with limited data and minutes. If say, they need to verify vaccination on the 20th of the month? Might be dicey. Pretty common to run out of your small allotted amounts.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Sure. It is a huge city, which I understand is 8MM people strong at the very lower possible count. But THE MILLIONS? That is where I am wondering. Of course you must have the one guy in NYC that has no phone, smart or dumb, no WiFi, no PC and still pays cash for everything, after withdrawing his money by cashing a check. But THE MILLIONS seems a bit too much.
I can assure you there are not MILLIONS of people in Bogota without a smartphone.

Post by JazzNU »

So I think it likely is millions. It's been a several years since I've seen figures and maybe it's improved. But the issue is the smartphone vs, dumb phone. I think it's something like 90% who might have a cell phone. But more like 70-75% who have a smartphone. If those are around the right numbers are correct it would mean millions. The other issue is going to be age. There's a few million in NY that are over age of 65, and the older you are, the less likely you are to own a smartphone.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Ok. I am surprised. It has been a while since I have seen somebody with a dumb phone here in Bogota. Even the old people have smartphones. They don't know how to use them, but they have them. They have grandchildren to teach them, I guess.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

When I meet someone who doesn't have a cell phone (let alone a 'smart' one), I admire them. A good friend of mine got his first cell phone just 2 years ago.
My ultimate wish is to meet a woman who has no cell phone, and go to and live in the woods, just her and I.
Oh... and she'll have to kind of like me, too...

Any 'vaccination certificate' on a smart phone can be copied/duplicated - I would think very easily by 'hackers' - to produce - and sell - fraudulent certificates which would serve the same purpose as the legitimate ones.
The same for any physical vaccination certificate card.

How long will it be before someone proposes inserting a microchip somewhere under a person's skin as a certificate of vaccination? And even that would eventually be able to be fraudulently duplicated.

As I've said before - the virus isn't the main problem... the main problem is the human animal.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Why would you want a fraudulent vaccination certificate? If you are anti-vaxx, you wear that as a badge of honor. You are not and will not be vaccinated, and you will say that proudly. If you believe in vaccination, you really want to be vaccinated, not carry a fake certificate. There is no profit motive to buy a vaccine certificate if the vaccine is available and relatively cheap.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:56 pm Ok. I am surprised. It has been a while since I have seen somebody with a dumb phone here in Bogota. Even the old people have smartphones. They don't know how to use them, but they have them. They have grandchildren to teach them, I guess.
Now, I can never tell if you'll be able to view a site or not, but hopefully you're able to see this. Most of the cell carriers continue to have dumb phones. They started to get rid of them a few years ago, but there was pushback to keep several options available. Popular choices for seniors and kids. There appears to be a comfort in using them for the seniors with not a lot of extra stuff on them, and for the kids, a security measure as well as a parenting decision many times.

Verizon Basic Phones